Starlink has many applications within it to meet a variety of needs; it includes:
- a general astronomical image viewer;
- data reduction tools, including programs for reducing CCD-like data;
- general-purpose data-analysis and visualisation tools;
- image processing, data visualisation, and manipulating NDF components;
- a flexible and powerful library for handling World Coordinate Systems (partly based on the SLALIB library);
- a library of routines intended to make accurate and reliable positional-astronomy applications easier to write; and
- and a Hierarchical Data System that is portable and flexible for storing and retrieving data.